Pages

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Amanda Bynes vs. Rihanna


In light of the current storm between Amanda Bynes and Rihanna, I thought it only appropriate to drudge up a previous blog post I wrote.

In January of this year, I posted on "Celebrities in Social Media: Best and Worst" where I voiced my opinion on celebrities championing the social media arena, while one celebrity, not so much; of course, out of ALL the celebrities that failed in social media, I chose to highlight Amanda Bynes.

At the time, all I could find on Bynes within social media was her Twitter page, which only had 279,729 followers and only 5 tweets, last updated in November of 2012.

Ironically, only 4 months later, almost as if she had read my blog post, Bynes attacks Rihanna, the same artist I mentioned in another post as "rocking the social media scene, "using Twitter. 

Now, Amanda Bynes has grown tremendously in popularity due to her antics and has soared to over 1.4 million followers on Twitter (and growing).


In the past 4 months, this invisible social media celebrity went from 5 tweets to 498.

Due to her new look and "newsworthy" events, she has been trending on Yahoo! on a weekly basis. Her unfiltered responses, retweets and attacks on other celebrities has gained her new followers daily (I'm sure just to see what she says next, rather than out of loyal support).

Source: http://cdn03.cdnwp.celebuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/30/amanda-bynes-feuds-400x300.jpg
She has recently gone on record, via social media, as bashing the following victims:

Her rants have definitely gained momentum and drawn a large following on social media. 




Goes to show that it doesn't take long to gain a following. You just have to be out there, and clearly doing something unique or just crazy.  

I guess in Amanda’s case, bashing hasn’t hurt her growing number of followers, but it certainly has changed her reputation.

No comments:

Post a Comment